Time To Talk About Disability




Once again I regret being late. The world celebrated International Day of Persons with Disability on the 3rd of December and I couldn't put up anything to create awareness about something I always wanted people to be sensitive to. I'm sorry! But I guess its better late than never. So this special day is observed annually to create awareness along with attempting an inclusion of differently abled people into the society.
This initiative by the United Nations since 1992 has interesting themes each year. In 2012 they aimed at "Removing barriers to create an inclusive and accessible society for all". Similarly in 2013 they compelled the world to
"Break Barriers, Open Doors: for an inclusive society and development for all". This year they decided to bring about "Sustainable development: The promise of technology".

In the recent years, I have seen an increasing number of people opening up to the idea of accepting disability. Whether it is differently abled people accepting their own limitation with pride and dignity, or others treating them equally, there's a positive approach, which not the case earlier. All thanks to a thoughtful act by the UN. A simple step taken by the UN has the potential to change millions of lives. Now what is needed is awareness and an intention to bring a change. I have done my bit. Now its your turn!

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Special Post On A Special Day

Say no to infantilization of the differently abled

The black spot that stays