Who was i?

With more time in hand than I ever had, I let myself aimlessly daydream about who I used to be before I became who I am today. So, I went into the flashback and saw, with very little clarity, a younger me, who is shockingly different in her ideas, attitude and self image. She was braver, carefree, confident and, if I may say, prettier than me. Speaking of "pretty" she didn't even care about being what I believe she was.
Surprised by the qualities, I tried to rediscover my younger self only to meet a completely different person. Someone I had forgotten. Someone who became silently nonexistent as my present self took over. The food that I liked, the faces that made me blush, the ideas of entertainment.. none of these seem to appeal to me anymore. The silliest things that I said with utmost confidence are now only a cause of embarrassment for me. Sometimes, when mum tells me about the things that I said or shows me a picture of a dress I wore, I'm shocked! Shocked because the present me would never do that. What was i thinking? Some flashbacks have been so alien that I cant believe it was me. Time is traveling so fast that I never even realize a change has happened. I'm surprised to see what is before me, every time I get a chance to pause and look back.
 I don't remember when I changed from a girl who frowns at sweets to someone who needs a dessert after every meal... from someone who had so much to say to someone who believes that she writes better than she speaks. These are only things that I remember. I wonder what else I used to be that I left behind. Speaking
to friends that the younger me  made, shows a faint picture that brings with it a little surprise and excitement, but it doesn't last long. It fades away as soon as the daydream ends. And I'm again left curious of who i used to be. What caused these changes?  Has time left very little authenticity in me. Am I only a reflection of people around me now, who sometimes wonders about the younger self? I wonder who I will be when I stop to look back the next time.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Special Post On A Special Day

Say no to infantilization of the differently abled

The black spot that stays