Do you know the disability etiquette?

 This international day of persons with disabilities, i didn't have to work hard to think of a topic. I came across an article that spoke of the etiquette of interacting with someone who has a disability. The idea excited me so much because I didn't know a lot despite living with a disability all my life.

The article took me through situations I was familiar with and suprised me with things I must expect when I meet people. I believe these tiny changes in behaviour can have a positive impact on a disabled person's self respect, self image and confidence.


The first is an eye contact and direct address. A lot of times, I've observed how people make their assumptions obvious. I've had visitors who'd see me and ask my mother (in front of me) if i could talk. It comes across as rude even if you don't intend it. The least you can do is make eye contact, smile and say hello. If the individual is struggling to respond then you can turn to the attender/family member.



A wheelchair, a walker or any other aid is like a part of the body for a person with a disability. Take permission from the person before touching or moving their things, just like you wouldn't touch or move an able bodied person without their consent. Ask them if they need help before doing something for them. They maybe disabled but they have the right, and in most cases, the ability to decide whether they need help or not. Give them the choice. Do not make it for them.


Finally, get down to their level when speaking to a person on the wheelchair. A major part of inclusion is to make a differently abled person feel that they are equal to everyone else around them. One way of doing that with a person on a wheelchair is to get down to their level when talking to them. Grab a chair or kneel down if you have to, but ensure that you face them directly. Looking down on them (or anyone for that matter) is never a good idea, literally or figuratively.


Next time you meet someone with a disability i hope these simple etiquettes cross your mind.

See you soon 😊

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Special Post On A Special Day

Say no to infantilization of the differently abled

The black spot that stays