The black spot that stays

 Remember 'the black spot on the white paper' experiment? It is not leaving my mind today. I'm not sure why. I thought hard, but I couldn't decide whether it was because someone refused to see me as a contributor to society and was stuck with the idea of my limitation or because my ability was under valued many times.



The spot never really bothered me as a child. Actually, I don't remember when it started bothering me. Maybe ten years ago, when I thought I can outperform the others and make people see me as the person that am, not as the girl on the wheelchair...  I thought I could change things. It seemed to work initially. I thought I'd succeeded.


I thought I'd washed of the spot, but it reappeared. This time, even an excellent performance couldn't wash it away. One of my flaws has been that I'm quick to generalize. Usually, my family helps me see the brighter side. This time too, I was hoping my generalization was wrong. Sadly, it wasn't.  I could compel people to make changes in buildings (build ramps), but their attitude remains the same. The unconscious bias isn't invisible. I still tried not to generalize, but it kept repeating so many times in so many ways that I m compelled to believe that this is how people are. Not good or bad.. maybe it's just how they are.


Comments

  1. The spot is not u. The spot is the people who dont see your worth. The generalization is not yours, its theirs to think that u cant contribute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are the white paper my love. U cant wash away the spot. What u can do is realise how small that dot is compared to the rest of the white sheet. Watch the “how big is the universe” video for perspective 😂😘 i love you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love you more! Thank God you are in my life.. otherwise I'd be struggling to get rid of the spot forever 😘🤗

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  3. Shruti is right…spot is not u…you are an amazing soul and an inspiration for many

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Kruti
    There’s nothing to handle such black spots .you Know your own worth. And if someone doesn’t value your worth, you walk away from them and don’t look back. Your time is the best thing you could ever give to anyone. If they don’t value and respect it. You walk away and give your time and best to someone who will reciprocate it back to you. just brush it off. It is their loss, not yours . One day they will come to their senses, but it will be too late. Their opinions are not even based on facts, so, whatever.😉

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Hi Ram, thank you so much. I'll remember that 🙂

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Special Post On A Special Day

Say no to infantilization of the differently abled